Maybe it’s the combination of sweet maple syrup, an eggy dipping batter, and pillowy fried bread that makes French toast skyrocket to the top of our “breakfast of champions” list. On a few occasions it’s made us wonder, “Does a morning meal get any more perfect?”
Turns out, it does. When you turn French toast into French toast sticks and layer them into a Joy Waffle Cone with fresh fruit, powdered sugar, and a drizzling of maple syrup, you transform this breakfast staple into an unconventional mobile meal kids can’t wait to devour.
Try this recipe with your favorite fresh fruit and sauces (we used strawberries and blueberries with maple syrup, but other great additions include bananas and peanut butter, raspberries and chocolate sauce, or chocolate chips and strawberry syrup). No matter the combination of toppings, this handheld breakfast makes the perfect special treat that brings the whole family together.
Prep time: 20 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- One loaf of stale bread (try brioche, challah, or French bread)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter (or cooking spray)
- Joy Waffle Cones
- Powdered sugar
- Blueberries and sliced strawberries
- Maple syrup
What To Do:
- Place bread on a cutting board and cut slices vertically into three sticks a piece.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, whole milk, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Coat a large frying pan with butter or cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat.
- Piece by piece, dredge bread sticks in egg batter, shake off excess, and place sticks on the pan to cook until golden-brown on each side.
- Once the French toast sticks are cooked, place desired number of sticks inside each waffle cone, dust with powdered sugar, top with fresh fruit, and drizzle with maple syrup.