If you’re looking for ways to get your children involved in the kitchen and walk them step by step through a simple, kid-friendly snack, look no further than a dip-your-own-cone dessert night.
Little ones love the allure of choosing their own destiny, with dozens of cereals and salty or sweet snacks to choose from. What can make this activity even more exciting is to set no limits — nothing’s off the table, not even sour gummy worms, crushed candy bars, or potato chips.
Not only do they get to pick their own unique toppings, but they’ll also decide what dips they’ll dunk their favorite ice cream cones into. They’ll be amazed to see the smooth liquid dip harden around the rim of their ice cream cone, thanks to the addition of a little coconut oil, and they’ll be tickled to see the end result designed just how they engineered it in their head.
Below are a few of our favorite pairings, but we recommend letting your kids set the direction with this one. You might be amazed at the combinations they dream up!
- Chocolate dip and crushed pretzels
- White chocolate and nonpareils
- Chocolate dip and chopped peanuts
- White chocolate and cereal marshmallows
- Dark chocolate, coarse salt, and chopped caramel bits
What You’ll Need:
- Any Joy Cones of your choosing
- Ice cream to fill your cone
To Make a Dip for 1-3 Cones:
- 1 cup chocolate or white chocolate (or other flavor) chips
- ¼ cup coconut oil (virgin or refined)
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
To Dress Up Your Cone:
- Try potato chips, nonpareils, sprinkles, marshmallows, peanuts, or any other small candy or snack
What To Do:
- Combine the dip ingredients in a wide microwave safe bowl and heat at 30-second intervals until chips are almost completely melted. (The chocolate and bowl could get hot, so be careful, especially if your little ones are helping with this part.) Stir to combine; cool slightly.
- Transfer slightly warm dip to a tall mason jar or drinking glass. Dip the top of the cone into jar or glass, or pour topping over the rim of your cone.
- While the dip is still fresh on the cone, roll the dipped portion through snacks or candies, or place toppings by hand onto the dip.
- Place decorated cones rim-side-up in drinking glasses to allow to cool all the way.
- Scoop ice cream of choice into cones and enjoy!
Looking for other ways to get creative with your cones? Try these three ideas, plucked straight from the Joy blog:
- Fun Ways to Dress Up Your Joy Ice Cream Cone
- Churro Ice Cream Sugar Cone
- Dark Chocolate Cake Cup Truffle
Did you try dipping cones with your kids? Post a pic on Instagram with the hashtag #BringJoyHome for a chance to be featured on our social pages!