Everything is better with sugar cones — even breakfast foods!
Doughnuts are a sweet breakfast treat that date back to the early 1800s. While this sundae might be too sweet to enjoy for breakfast, it sure is a fun twist on a popular dessert. In this Joy Cone recipe, we’re combining two of our very favorite things — doughnuts and ice cream cones.
We used a classic doughnut with chocolate icing and sprinkles, but you can shake things up with your favorite doughnut flavor. Jelly-filled, Boston cream, or maple bacon would all pair well with this delicious treat.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1-3 doughnuts of your choosing (depending on size)
- Vanilla ice cream
- 3 Joy Sugar Cones
- Toppings of choice (sprinkles, cookie crumbles, nuts, chocolate sauce, etc.)
- Place doughnuts at the bottom of a bowl. We used smaller doughnuts, so we used three. However, if you’re using a large doughnut, one should do the trick.
- Scoop desired amount of ice cream on top of doughnuts. We used vanilla ice cream, but use your favorite flavor to customize this sundae. Having trouble getting the perfect scoop? Check out our blog post on how to scoop the perfect ice cream scoop!
- To make sugar cone crumbles, place two sugar cones in a sealed bag. Using a spoon, gently break up the cones into small crumbs. Then, sprinkle the crumbs over the ice cream. We used sugar cones because they are crisp and crunchy — perfect for topping off a messy sundae.
- Place the remaining sugar cone on top of the sundae for decoration.
- Top with nuts, sprinkles, or chocolate sauce for added flavor and fun!
At Joy, we’re always looking for new, creative ways to use ice cream cones! Check out a few of our favorite recipes on our blog:
- Rhode Island Doughboy Waffle Bowl Sundae
- Açaí Waffle Bowl Recipe
- Buffalo Wing and Blue Cheese Waffle Cone